Getting started - Group work
A positive way for a group to begin working together doing life story work is outlined below. This can be a useful exercise in introducing the group to some of the issues they will need to consider whilst working together.
Ask the group to think about the following three headings:
- Positive reasons to share stories
- Things that might come up that might make sharing stories difficult
- How to make sharing stories feel safe.
Two other headings could be:
4. The different ways that stories can be shared (i.e. written, voice recording, music, slideshow, video)
5. Where can stories be shared (i.e. conferences, website blogs, book or magazine, teaching session).
Some things you may want to consider as a group are :
Being clear about the objectives of sharing
- What are you doing it for?
- Who you are telling it to?
- Why you doing it?
- What’s their agenda?